Response to Hurricane Harvey: Home Repair Service Trip
Years after Hurricane Harvey, volunteers are still needed to help repair hundreds of homes for people who live with physical, financial, or other limitations. Home repairs are expected to last at least through the year 2021. Can you help?
All skill sets are welcome. It would be beneficial if you had a few good skilled carpenters in your group, but it is not required. Come with a teachable spirit to learn something new. There is a local construction supervisor who will give direction on projects.
Rolling dates, please contact us to learn more.
16 years old and older
Possible Work Projects
- Drywall installation/finishing
- Cabinet installation
- Outdoor projects
- Misc. projects related to reconstruction
Accommodations and Meals
There are 24 cots with foam mattresses, 12 cots in two rooms. Each of the rooms can be further divided in half if necessary.
Local church volunteers provide hot evening meals on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Leftovers are generally available on Friday night. You are encouraged to eat in the community on Wednesday night. A cold breakfast is provided every morning as well as fixings for a bag lunch.
$100 week/individual covers accommodations and meals, payable to the local organization with whom you will be working.
Your group is responsible for travel costs.
Tools and Materials
Tools and materials are provided
Things to Bring:
- Please bring your personal construction items: tool belt, utility knife, tape measure, etc.
- Bedding: sleeping bag/pillow/sheets/blanket
- Towel and bathroom items
- Work clothes
- Closed-toe shoes for job sites
- At least one pair of jeans/pants for some job sites
- Work gloves
- Casual clothing for “down-time”
- Bug spray
- Games/Frisbee/free time stuff